The first 3 weeks of no sweets were the hardest. The more I resisted the easier it became. I began to shed weight too and that was encouraging. Though summer is over, I have learned to avoid sweets. I don't make them any more. If I go to a function where they are served occasionally I'll eat some but most often I'll bring it home for August, who I think misses having them. :) I now weigh 10 pounds less than I did before I was pregnant! I feel thinner and better in my skin because I am in charge of what I let in. All evidence points to sugar being a contribution factor to weight gain. Also, in support of my evidence I can site 2 other stories where sugar did the same thing. My dad also cut sugar out of his diet and lost 20 pounds in one month. A friend of August's, lets just call him anonymous, wanted to gain weight. He's been putting spoonfuls of sugar into his drinks and other foods and has gained weight.
Weight loss is only one of the benefits of cutting down your sugar intake. I've also noticed more energy, less mood swings, and its easier to fall asleep at night. Are you sold yet?
I mentioned 'healthy desserts' and yes, I think there is such a thing. There are other sweeteners around beside sugar. Sweeteners that are better for you: agave nectar, honey, dates, and stevia are a few that I have discovered. Here are a few easy recipes, all of which I can recommend!
Raw Chocolate Fudge
½ cup raw cocoa powder
1 cup raw almond butter
4 Tbs coconut oil
¼-½ cup agave syrup, to taste
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp sea salt
½ cup walnuts (optional)
1/3 cup dried coconut (optional)
Combine all ingredients, except optional, in a food processor and blend until well mixed. Pulse in optional ingredients if desired. Pour into cake pan, cover, and freeze until firm. Cut into squares or whatever shape you wish. Keep in freezer.
Raw Strawberry Shortcake
20-30 strawberries
3 handfuls of nuts
1 handful dates, pitted
2 Tbs honey
2 dashes sea salt
1 dash olive oil
Grind nuts in food processor to flour-like consistency. Drop in dates, salt, and honey while processing. Keep going until a doughy consistency is formed. Spread dough in pie tin. Slice half the strawberries and arrange on top of dough. Put remaining strawberries with honey, salt, and olive oil in food processor and blend together. Pour over sliced strawberries.
Yummy Apple Cobbler
Filling:
5 medium apples, peeled and chopped
½ cup raisins soaked in water 2-4 hours
½ tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs honey
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp sea salt
Juice from half a lemon
Topping:
1 ½ cups pecans or nuts you like
¾ cup dates, pitted
½ tsp sea salt
Place one apple with drained raisins, cinnamon, lemon juice, honey, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt in processor. Puree till smooth, set aside. Place remaining apples in bowl and toss with mix. Place in a glass dish. Process nuts until ground, then add dates until evenly mixed. Crumble on top of apples. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 4 hours. This is even better the next day!
oh that sounds tough. i too, am addicted to sweets. but Dan cut all sugary drinks about 2 months ago and it's ridiculous how fast the weight is dropping off. he only drinks water and milk and the occasional unsweetened juice. it also makes him want dessert less. i will definitely have to try your trick after my little one comes.
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I am addicted to sweets too. Seriously. And I've only lost 15 of the 35 added pounds since having Camden. It's cliche, but I'm totally going off of sugar come January! You are an inspiration! I hope I can have as much self discipline as you! I miss you like crazy (that's nothing new)! Love ya!
ReplyDelete