Friday, March 20, 2009

The beginning of my blogging about bikes...

So I recently sold my Cannondale Gemini mountain bike a.k.a. "The marshmallow bike". I bought this bike to ride off big drops and onto picnic tables and the like, and it served it's purpose extremely well, while still letting me [barely] get up hills. This bike would roll over anything.

As I became accustomed to the Gemini, my urge for new adventures began to make me think about bike trials which I had been doing to the extent possible on "The Mallow".


My thoughts drifted back to an old movie of Jake Lott's from the mid-nineties called "The Bouncing Czech" that starred Czech guy named Libor Karas hopping on cars, airplanes, people-all kinds of stuff.

We dreamed about doing that kind of stuff, but all we could get was a couple hops on the back wheel.(Jake Lott actually had the record with 50 or so, if memory serves me.) We didn't really know how to do any real useful trials moves.

So, in the end of 07 I bought a real trials specific frame from a guy on the internet for $250 and proceeded to build it up! I even laced the wheels myself, for which I am very proud. Here's a little clip from Salt Lake:


Having acquired a bike that suited my need to surmount obstacles, I found that I had no need of a squishy, soggy, (and fun) bike since other than trials, I just rode trails with lots of climbs. I felt it was time to get a more cross-country oriented bike.

I searched far and wide, and decided on the bike that would best meet my riding needs: Primarily-Climb like a hardtail, and be smooshie for the downhill. I found that Cannondale made a frame called the Rush, that included the rear shock with a lockout, and a Cannondale Lefty up front, also with a lockout. Front and rear travel on the each shock is 4.5 inches.

I decided to look into the pros and cons of a Lefty(it gets it's name from the lack of a right side to the fork). I had heard about them, and the reviews were nothing but good from those who'd owned them. I decided I'd take the plunge and try the Lefty.

The Rush 3 came with the fully tuneable, lock-out-able rear shock, and sells new for about $3,000. I decided I would try to find a Rush 4 which is a step down in the quality of components, and can be bought used for $1,200 or so. The cheapest for the Rush 3 used was about $1,500. On a chance, I offered $1,000 for a 2007 rush 3 that was posted at $1,500, and the guy selling accepted! There was a catch-he was in San Fransisco. He agreed to meet me in Reno, Nevada the next week since he would be at Lake Tahoe all week.

It was such a good deal, and just the ticket, so the following Wednesday I left at 2 AM and met with the kind fellow at 9AM in Reno, swapped cash for bike, and drove home. I arrived home at 5 PM, and wanted to take a nap. :)

Here's the bike. I love it so far! The lock-outs and the suspension, and the egg-beater pedals! The bike comes with a tool kit that fits into the stem and includes a patch kit! The bike also came with a like new pair of Kenda Navegal tires, in addition to the more road-friendly ones currently on the bike.


Anyone have suggestions for a name for this bike? A co-worker suggested "Reno".

Sorry to any of you that were bored to death listening to me rattle on about bikes.

I am intensely, terribly excited about this riding season, especially since Jake Ellis and I already have a trip planned to Gooseberry in April!

Out.

4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about a good bike, and a bike that is suited for specific needs. I have a full Gary fisher sugar for xc; if I know I'm going steep uphill, I have an old, but very light GT ricochet that fits on my shoulder great (triple triangle), then there's the bmx for more general dorking around on, the old specialized rockhopper with slicks for commuting, and the Trek roadie for roading. I'm jealous of your trials bike, I've always wanted one of those.

    Good riding!

    Shawn :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gus,
    I am jealous man. It looks like a great bikes that is going to provide good times. To bad I cant go ride with ya!! Hope you are doing good. Have a great day. Oh and Check out INSTEPS bike traitors. We got our for around 200, better than 500 like others we looked at.
    Chase

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly!! You can't see it but Dan and I are giving you a standing ovation. You are amazing! Poor Dan, if he ever does work up the courage to go with you guys, be gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cecy says call it, O,BeOne.

    Mom says call it, Obsidian.

    and says, "Be Safe". Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete