Over the past 6 months change has been in the air...actually its been in the food we eat. Over the past 2 years I have been introduced to raw food time and again. Each time I've been more and more persuaded this was a direction I needed to take. You've probably heard of vegetarians or vegans. There are people who would classify themselves as raw foodists. They eat only uncooked fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and any other plant-based products. No animal products. By uncooked I mean--nothing has been exposed to heat higher than 120 degrees. At 120 degrees the living enzymes within food die. Enzymes are vital to digestion and absorption of nutrients from our food.
Ever wonder why so many people in our wonderful country have cancer, diabetes, or other afflictions? I am more and more convinced that we are what we eat. People who are raw foodists talk about not getting sick, loosing weight, seeing better, aches and pains leaving. People have been healed from cancer by eating this way and many other remarkable stories! Reading raw food books from the library, reading The China Study and viewing documentaries like 'Food Inc.' and 'Food Matters' have given me enough evidence to want to change the way I've always eaten...and the only way I've known. So, we are changing...as quickly as resources and understanding can be applied. Do we still eat meat? rarely. Do we drink cow's milk? nope.
We have been enjoying trying lots of new things as I learn about them. Raw foodists make snacks, desserts, main courses, everything--just with raw materials. I've made cereal, crackers, and cookies in our dehydrator. We make almond milk a couple times a week. Green smoothies, salads, wraps, etc.--all raw. I don't know if we'll ever switch over completely to a raw lifestyle...I just feel like it needs to be more a part of our diet. Do you think I'm a nut or what?!
a nut? maybe a little... but you're my favorite kind! :) I am really impressed with your self disciple and desire for your health and over all well being. Questions (hope they don't sound rude in any way, I'm purely curious) Is this expensive? Or does cutting out the meat and what not cut down the cost? What do you do when you go to your friends or families' houses to eat? What is Gus's view on this? Is he totally on board or just kind of? Aside of milk, what other animal products are in or out? Eggs? I think you are great!! and very inspirational. Love ya girly!
ReplyDeleteps one of my Logan friends has a cooking blog that you might be interested in. She isn't a raw foodist, but she is all about organic, clean eating. http://fortheloveofgrosscooking.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI think it's a great idea. Sam and I have been trying that as a new year's resolution. Trying to cut out sugar and processed food, and eating as raw as possible. You are doing a lot better than we are. But I think it's impressive you are doing so well.
ReplyDeletewould you stop being so dang healthy? you are making the rest of us look bad! :)
ReplyDeletebut seriously, i admire your efforts. when i get both my hands back, i hope to get on the road to healthier eating again. someday....
I guess I'll hop on and comment... Since Kori asked what I think of it all.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I'm not a huge fan of cooking, and I'm more of a pancakes for dinner and every other meal type guy. Fast, effective-gone it 10 minutes. I do cook on and off and most Sundays, but try to get through it quickly.
Having said this, I think eating raw, etc. is great, though I would not undertake it personally, left to my own devices. At least not with such vehemence as is manifested in Katie's persistent efforts. While I'm not as gung ho as Katie yet, I am trying to be. From the things I've learned, it strikes me as very much the way we should eat, and would help to diminish or eradicate many of our society's health and emotional ailments. I really see it as a part of a truly healthy lifestyle, not a diet.
I always thought that vegans or vegetarians were just animal lovers, etc. so they didn't eat meat to not offend mother earth or some such. In my personal application, I want to just do the best thing. We have incorporated the gospel into our decisions about our food as well. Word of Wisdom states that grains, etc are to be the staple of life, and fruits and veggies should be eaten in their season, and meat should only be eaten in times of 'famine'. I don't know about y'all, but meat used to be in about every meal. Never been in famine mode, though. Not even now. I like to eat meat, and I used to make it because you don't really need a recipe or a lot of time to make it work out... that was good for me. Check out the two movies and the book Katie recommends in the post. They'll make you at least WANT to change.
I think the hardest part is incorporating this different lifestyle. You seem to have to plan ahead more so things can be dehydrating or soaking, and things don't keep as long. I think after we learn what we like and get a rhythm it will be dandy. Think about if you had never seen anyone cook, but you had always been given meals. Then you suddenly got to start making food on your own... How cumbersome would that be?! Anyhow, similar situation, I feel to beginning a completely raw lifestyle. That said we are still eating cheese, though less frequently(Katie's learning recipes for nut cheeses, and much more), eggs, butter(for my popcorn), and many other cooked/processed things. As Katie mentioned in the post, we're just applying it as quickly as we can adapt, and learn. It really is hard, but honestly, getting easier.
Thus far, cost is very comparative, especially since we are doing it the economy way, and will most likely to continue doing so. i.e. making nut milk from scratch vs. $3.50 for a carton of almond milk at the grocery store, cereals from scratch vs. $3 box of cereal, etc. Some 'prepared' ingredients are more expensive than their less healthy counterparts. Like cheap peanut butter as opposed to raw organic almond butter, etc. A definite benefit, though hard to quantify is saving on medical bills now and in the future, and just being happy and healthy.
When we visit or family and friends houses, we eat what they eat. No big deal. I probably enjoyed Caden's birthday cake and ice cream more than Bence did.
I'm lucky that Katie is up to the challenge. Just trying to keep up.
There are my thoughts for what they're worth...
Gus out.